- predictions watching Netflix show, The Ultimatum
- how do you not feel guilty for being happy?
- Notes from physical therapy appointment: 3 exercises, 30 reps
- Updated note: 5 exercises, 30 reps, add weight? PT said I did good!!!
- “i love hearing his laugh downstairs”
- headache/migraine log
- “i can let these circles overlap”
- Brainstorm for my end of year letter to my students. I had a teacher who wrote a 12 page “journal entry” from 30 years in the future where she goes to see all of us spread around the world and what we’re up to. I want to give that to my students too.
- “there’s comfort in not being special sometimes”
- “fish oil 2/18”
- Generative art
- in class i give away the answer too quick…im too excited. i gotta let them have that excitement and glorious moment of discovery and clarity
- Speed run times for rows of my old crochet project: 5:07, 4:23, 4:53, 4:28
- a menu of potential birthday celebration ideas for my ❤
- “i don’t often keep promises to myself. i need to rebuild that trust”
- “I am not parallel lines”
- to think about (make peace with) when there is time (even though there never is):
- how to exist in capitalism
- creating waste, minimizing waste
- Quote from C: “Friends? I like them as a concept. Execution varies.”
excerpts from: Emails I’ve Sent This Week
Answering emails (particularly work emails) is one of my least favorite parts of my day. I don’t understand the level of formality or conventions. I am always afraid I am going to say something slightly wrong, or have a typo, or reply with the wrong tone. But I’m pretty proud of myself this week.
- My reply to asking if I would like to work on a costume in the next few weeks: “Thanks for thinking of me! I am currently stretched a little thin, and so I think I have to say no to this one sadly. But I can’t wait to see the show!”
- Wow did I just say no to a thing?
- My reply to a student (my first one ever!) asking me to write them a recommendation: “It is submitted! Good luck, and let me know what happens with this. The program looks incredible!”
- I asked for help!?
- “I was wondering if you have any advice for facing the next few weeks. I am struggling to find a way to best prepare lessons for students in school, knowing that in some of my classes as many as 1/3 of the students are out for the next week or so.”
- Checking in with students who were on quarantine: “I just wanted to check in and see if there is anything you need looking towards coming back to school. We have missed you!”
- I went back and counted, and I have 21 email conversation from students about covid from this week. Each conversation has 3-15 emails in it.
- I shared a puzzle I found and liked (found here): “Here is a cool puzzle thing that I found and am going to use for an opener in Geo.”
- These are really fun and students loved them and I am excited to do more things like this.
thoughts going into term 2 (as a real life math teacher)
(I’m actually a teacher, wow. This is my job? I am responsible for the education of actual human beings. I have been trusted with this? That still is sinking in.)
- of course its starting with a new surge of covid and the possibility of going virtual. i am trying to not overthink things or get too anxious but wow i did not need that.
- i spent about as much time planning when i would do various planning as i did actually planning.
- i have a few new ideas for systems of organization, and i am excited to see if they work or make a difference and help me feel less chaotic.
- i am very nervous for reestablishing norms. balancing being kind and understanding and encouraging them to take care of themselves now more than ever while also having high expectations for what I think they are capable of
Update: Thoughts after 2 days:
- Wow I am so tired. I forgot how tiring this is
- i did miss this, and these kids.
- i did not miss emails. i hate answering emails. i don’t understand the genre of emails.
- in general, i am very happy with my decision to do minimal work during break. this week is a little more busy, but i am glad i let myself rest
current projects (or things that i want to be projects…)
Alternatively Titled: Am I over whelmed or over excited?
(An incomplete/Working list)
- Watercolor experimentation
- Found Picture frames
- Dog nook decorations
- A longer conversation sketches
- Paint by number
- Statistics/Commentary/Analysis of Dating TV shows
- Are You the One?
- Too Hot to handle
- Bachelor/Bachelorette (but there’s so many seasons of this…. so maybe not)
- Other shows that I just want an excuse to watch again
- Train my dogs to put away their own toys
- Paint mural in basement
- Paint bathroom
- Sock wall
- Make little animations
- write poems
- actually share my art/poems (Yes this counts as a project because it takes a lot of days and energy to work up the nerve to do that)
- Sewing Projects
- Pirate Shirt
- Shirt Alterations
- Something with all the fabric I have bought because its pretty but don’t know what to do with yet
- Geometric shapes
- Geometric solids
- Hyperbolic Planes
- Other math experimentation
- Print/Hang Family Photographs
- Art Commissions/RedBubble Uploads
- Police Abolition? Broad and large, I know. Thats how I feel too, but I’m working on what this means to me and how I can be involved
- Learn how to play video games better (mostly by playing Stardew Valley)
- Find community here
- Give new and old friendships the love and attention they deserve
- Wedding planning???
- Get ready for my first full time teaching position!!!???
- Learn how to relax (I think this will be among the hardest)
- Take care of myself/Exist as a person…theres so much involved in that so I’m listing it